Who Should Attend
Diabetes educators and health care providers including: nurses, dietitians, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, social workers, physical therapists, diet technicians, case managers and other health professionals interested in diabetes care. Level of Program for Target Audience: Level 2: Assumes participant has general knowledge of area(s) covered.
Participants will be able to:
- Discuss the importance of consistency when addressing food insecurity and diabetes
- List at least 2 ways to impact outcomes for someone with food insecurity and diabetes
- Define Health Literacy.
- Identify barriers and interventions for effective diabetes health : communication, information and services
- Describe and discuss the links of health literacy, language and culture.
- Assess one’s own unconscious Implicit Bias
- Describe how Implicit Bias can contribute to health disparities.
- Identify opportunities to address Implicit Bias.
Activity Type: Knowledge-based
Learning outcome: The goal of this conference is to offer diabetes educators and allied health professionals guidelines and evidence based practices to assist in addressing those influences that affect patients from attaining good diabetes self-management.
Spring Meeting Planning Committee
Amory Gray, RD, LD - Mount Desert Island Hospital - Bar Harbor, Chair
Susan J Young, RN, BSN, MPH, CDE - Blue Hill Memorial Hospital Health Education – Blue Hill
Cynthia Young, RN, BSN, CDE - Maine Medical Center-Portland
Deborah K Dumoulin, BS, RN, RD, LD, CDE - Maine Health Care at Home - Saco
Katherine Mullin, RD, LD, CDE - Maine Medical Partner and DPD Nutrition Consultants – South Portland
Jennifer Courtois, RN, DNS – Kindred Healthcare: Monarch Center – Saco
Heleana Nickerson, MS, RD, LD, CDE - Houlton Regional Hospital – Houlton
Sherry Dow RN - PCHC – Bangor
Nathan Morse CHES, TTS-C - Maine CDC, Chronic Disease Prevention and Control Program - Augusta
Successful Completion of Program
For successful completion, participants are required to attend the full activity, complete and submit the program evaluation at the conclusion of the educational event.
Disclosure Information - Speakers and Planning Committee